As my grand daughter was studying Roman mosaics among other things Roman in class, I thought it might be nice for the class to experience the technique of putting together a mosaic in the Roman style. However, things move so quickly in primary schools, that I found myself agreeing to do one on a spring theme.
The teacher decided on the flowers to be represented and set the class to work on drawing up the flowers both in a naturalistic and a graphic version. I was then to make a composition of these over two panels. Through a little persuasion, I was able to get sponsorship from Pearsons Glass, who donated sheet glass which Magda and I cut up into centimetre squares, knowing that about 7,500 would be needed for the two panels. The cut glass is shown above. Thanks again to Peter and Robert for agreeing and selecting the glass for me.
The composition was drawn to full scale, approved by the pupils and teacher. It was then covered in plastic and a grid put over to attach the glass withPVA glue. It will later be transferred to prepared boards and stuck down with adhesives and grout.
The class is divided into three so that about 10 come each afternoon. This will give each group the chance to see several stages in the progress of the mosaic construction. The picture below is panel one after the first day.