Months and months ago, estimates were given on the restoration of a large stair window in a building dating from the third quarter of the 19th century.
At the time of the estimate, I did not know the building was a grade A listed building. This means that the internal and external features are protected. Although the developer had dealt with a number of listed building consents, nothing had been done about the window. Thus, I had to put in a planning application through the developer.
The initial investigations were not encouraging. Previously, all that has been required is to get the approval of Glasgow City-Wide Heritage Trust and work could begin. Now, I was told planning consent has to be given to ensure - among other things - that I did not abscond with the window. What an insult to my integrity! I swallowed my pride and made the application, indicating the method I intended to use to preserve what was left and restore the rest to a functioning window. I submitted this in early January.
In April my wife who is on an architectural amenity society that covers the area, told me that my name was on a planning application which she had to review. Finally, approval was given at the beginning of June. Now, of course, everything is a rush. The buyer wants to move in, but not until all the work is done. Really, all that needs to be done is the window. No pressure then.
I intend to follow this project through with descriptions of what was done to preserve and restor the window.
The window has been protected for a number of years by a fibreglass sheet screwed to the outsied of the opening. This has provided the window and interior of the building from the weather. It has done a good job of protecting the remaining glass from further impact damage. It also has lead to a lot of dirt adhearing to the outside of the glass.
This photo shows the opening with the fibreglass removed from the outside (there still is a sheet on the inside of the round head of the window). The broken pieces hanging from the came are taped to keep them in place while removing the panels and to keep the workers from being cut on the points and edges of the broken glass.
This photo shows the opeining with all the glass and glazing bars removed. The window was constructed in four panels. The largest panel - about one third of the window - is the one with the roundell with the portrait in it.
I omitted to take a picture of the window as we left it with the fibreglass sheet again screwed to the framework. It is very ugly.