Thursday 13 March 2008

Verrier Glass Studio

Let me introduce you to my studio. It is a large one in the WASPS Hanson Street building in Glasgow. I will tell you about WASPS at some point in the future. I am on the ground floor and the official entrance is from the elevated ground floor. As you can see from the photo below, you go down stairs to get into the studio. The advantage is that the glass windows on the right slide open to give access to the car park outside. The windows are about 3.5 metres high, giving an enormous amount of light into the studio from the south. The disadvantage is that the low sun (56 degrees North) when we get it, is directly into your eyes. So you have to bring the shutters part way down for shade (in the Winter!).

Studio entrance

As you come down the steps, you get closer to the work benches - which, as you can see, I did not tidy up for this picture - and the glass storage underneath high level storage for all sorts of things. I finished these shelves only about 3 months ago, so they are not yet full of all my stuff. You can just see a pair of lobster panels in the far window. These are salvaged from our kitchen remodelling - my work no longer fitted into the new black , white and blue scheme.

At the back of the studio are two of my kilns. The others are in another part of the building. So these are my big (2.2metres by 1.03metres) and my smallest (.5 by .5 metres) kiln. The other two are about 1metre by .5metre and are in a special kiln room shared with ceramic artists.

This image shows some painted pieces sitting in the kiln just before being removed.

This final photo is taken toward the entrance from the main floor of the studio. It shows the current progress toward a display area for the studio, and possibly for other glass artists in the building. It shows a few pieces in cases along with shelves of supplies. The large structure to the right of the shelves is a piece called "Internal Landscape" which was prepared for the travelling exhibition "Cutting Edge". It is four sided, with lighting in the drum below the glass. It is based on the turning of things inside out. The projections are reminiscent of the polips in our digestive system, projected into a landscape under stress.

Enough "artistic" description. These photos give a flavour of the environment in which I work.

No comments: